Mobile home showers and tubs are an essential part of any mobile home. They offer a space for personal hygiene, relaxation, and even therapy. However, because mobile homes are smaller than traditional homes, they require smaller and more compact fixtures. In this post, we will discuss everything you need to know about mobile home showers and tubs, including their types, materials, features, maintenance, upgrades, cost, and installation.
Types of Mobile Home Bathroom Tubs
Mobile home tubs come in different shapes, sizes, and materials. Here are some common types of mobile home tubs:
- Alcove Tubs: Alcove tubs are designed to fit into a three-wall enclosure, with the fourth side open for the user to enter and exit. Alcove tubs are a popular choice for mobile homes due to their space-saving design.
- Corner Tubs: Corner tubs are designed to fit back into a corner of the bathroom. They are usually larger than alcove tubs and can provide a more luxurious bathing experience. Some corner tubs have built-in seats and whirlpool jets for added comfort.
- Garden Tubs: Garden tubs are typically oval-shaped and are deeper and larger than standard tubs. They are designed for soaking and relaxation and can add a touch of elegance to a mobile home bathroom. Garden tubs are available in a variety of styles and can come with features such as whirlpool jets and built-in seats.
- Walk-In Tubs: Walk-in tubs are designed for those with mobility issues, as they have a door that swings open for the user to enter and exit. They are equipped with safety features such as non-slip surfaces and grab bars. Walk-in tubs can be an expensive option, but they provide an added level of safety and comfort.
Materials Used for Mobile Home Tubs
Mobile home tubs can be made from a variety of materials, including fiberglass, acrylic, porcelain, and cast iron. When choosing a material for your mobile home tub, besides personal preference, consider factors such as durability, maintenance requirements, and cost. You’ll also want to ensure that the material you choose is compatible with the existing plumbing and structural supports in your mobile home to ensure a safe and secure installation.
- Fiberglass and acrylic tubs are the most common options for mobile homes because they are lightweight, easy to install, and relatively inexpensive. They are also easy to clean and maintain and come in a variety of colors and styles to match your bathroom decor. However, they may not be as durable as other materials and the plastic can be prone to cracking or scratching over time.
- Porcelain and cast-iron tubs are heavier and more durable, making them a good choice for those who want a long-lasting and high quality tub. These materials are also more resistant to damage from scratches or impact, and they retain heat well, which can make for a more comfortable bathing experience. However, they can be difficult to install and are typically more expensive than fiberglass or acrylic tubs.
- Another option is to choose a new tub made from composite materials, which combine the durability and strength of cast iron with the lightness and flexibility of fiberglass. These tubs are resistant to chipping, scratching, and cracking, and are also easy to clean and maintain. However, they can be more expensive than other options.
Types of Mobile Home Showers
Mobile home showers come in different styles and configurations. Here are some common types of mobile home showers:
- Shower Stalls: Shower stalls are prefabricated shower enclosures that can be installed in a corner or against a wall. They come in various shapes and sizes and are a popular choice for mobile homes due to their ease of installation. They are available in a variety of styles and can come with features such as built-in seats and shelves.
- Tub and Shower Combos: Tub and shower combos are also a popular choice for mobile homes because they provide the functionality of a shower and a tub in a single unit. They are great for those who have limited space in their mobile home bathroom, but still want the option of a bathtub for soaking. Tub and shower combos can come in various styles and sizes, including those with features such as whirlpool jets and built-in shelves.
- Open Showers: Open showers are showers without any enclosure or door. They are ideal for those who prefer a more modern, spacious, and open bathroom design. Open showers can be designed to fit any size or style of mobile home bathroom. They can be particularly beneficial for those who have mobility issues, as they do not require a step up to enter, making them easier to access.
Materials Available for Mobile Home Showers
Mobile home showers are available in a range of materials, and the type of material used will depend on several factors, including the desired design, durability, budget, and maintenance requirements. Here are the most common materials used for mobile home showers:
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass is a lightweight and durable material that is commonly used for mobile home showers. It’s easy to clean and maintain and can be customized with various colors and designs. Fiberglass showers are also affordable and easy to install, making them a popular choice for homeowners.
- Acrylic – Acrylic is another lightweight and durable material that is commonly used for mobile home showers. It’s more expensive than fiberglass but offers a sleeker and more modern look. Acrylic showers are also resistant to scratches, cracks, and stains, making them easy to clean and maintain.
- Ceramic Tile – Ceramic tile showers provide a more traditional and elegant look to a mobile home bathroom. They are made from durable materials and can be customized with various patterns and designs. Ceramic tile showers, however, can be heavy and difficult to install in a mobile home due to their weight, so it’s important to ensure that your mobile home’s structure can support the weight of a ceramic tile shower.
- Stone – Stone showers are becoming increasingly popular as they offer a high-end, luxurious look. They are durable, long-lasting, and easy to maintain. However, they are one of the most expensive options and may require professional installation.
- Solid Surface – Solid surface showers are made from a mixture of resin and natural minerals, creating a smooth and durable surface. They offer a modern, seamless look and are easy to clean and maintain. Solid surface showers can be more expensive than fiberglass and acrylic, but they offer better durability and resistance to damage.
Maintenance and Repair of Mobile Home Showers and Tubs
Like any other fixture in a mobile home, showers and tubs require regular cleaning and maintenance to prevent problems. Here are some tips to help you maintain your mobile home showers and tubs:
- Clean your showers and tubs regularly with mild soap and water.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners, bleach, or other harsh chemicals that can damage the surfaces.
- Fix any leaks, cracks, or other damages as soon as possible to prevent water damage and mold growth.
- Check the caulking and grouting around your showers and tubs regularly and replace if necessary.
- Be gentle with your mobile home showers and tubs and avoid using them for other purposes, such as washing pets or gardening tools.
If you do encounter any problems with your mobile home showers and tubs, here are some common issues and how to fix them:
- Leaks: Check the faucets, showerheads, and other fixtures for leaks. Tighten loose connections, replace worn-out washers or cartridges, or call a professional plumber to fix the problem.
- Clogs: Use a plunger or a drain snake to unclog your shower or tub drain. Avoid using chemical drain cleaners, as they can damage your plumbing and harm the environment.
- Stains: Use a soft scrub or a baking soda and vinegar mixture to remove stains from your showers and tubs. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scouring pads that can scratch the surfaces.
- Cracks: Repair small cracks with a fiberglass or acrylic repair kit. For larger cracks or damages, consider replacing the shower or tub.
When deciding whether to repair or replace your mobile home shower or tub, consider the cost, the extent of the damage, and the age of the fixture. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the fixture than to repair it.
Upgrades and Renovations for Mobile Home Showers and Tubs
Upgrading or renovating your mobile home shower or tub can improve its functionality, safety, and aesthetic appeal. Here are some popular upgrades and renovations you can consider:
- Install grab bars and safety features: Adding grab bars to your shower or tub can improve safety, especially for seniors or people with mobility issues. You can also install non-slip flooring, seating, and other safety features to reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- Upgrade to a whirlpool or jetted tub: If you love to relax in a bath, you may want to upgrade to a whirlpool or jetted tub. These types of tubs have built-in jets that provide a massaging effect and can soothe sore muscles and joints.
- Replace the shower or tub surround: The shower or tub surround can significantly impact the look and feel of your bathroom. You can replace your existing surround with a more modern, attractive material like tile, stone, or a solid surface material like Corian or Swanstone.
- Add storage and shelving: Adding storage and shelving can help you keep your bathroom organized and clutter-free. You can add shelves or built-in niches in the shower or tub area to hold shampoo, soap, and other personal care items.
- Upgrade the showerhead or faucet: Replacing your showerhead or faucet can be an easy and affordable way to upgrade your shower or tub. You can choose from a wide range of styles and finishes to match your bathroom décor and preferences.
- Replace the shower or tub unit: If your existing shower or tub is outdated or damaged, you may want to consider replacing the entire unit. You can choose from a wide range of materials, sizes, brands, and styles to match your needs and budget.
Cost and Installation of Mobile Home Showers and Tubs
The cost and installation of mobile home showers and tubs can vary depending on several factors, such as the material, size, and features of the unit, as well as the level of customization and the cost of labor in your area. Here’s a closer look at the cost and installation of mobile home showers and tubs:
The cost of mobile home showers and tubs can range from a few hundred dollars for a basic fiberglass or acrylic unit to several thousand dollars for a high-end stone or custom-made unit. The cost of installation, including labor, materials, and permits, can also vary depending on the scope of the project and the complexity of the installation.
The installation of a mobile home shower or tub typically involves removing the existing unit, preparing the space, and installing the new unit. The process can be complex and may require the assistance of a professional plumber or contractor, especially if you are replacing the unit with a different type or size.
The installation process will also vary depending on the material of the shower or tub. Fiberglass and acrylic units are typically easy to install and can be done quickly, while ceramic tile and stone units may require more time and specialized tools and techniques.
When planning the installation of a new mobile home shower or tub, it’s important to consider any necessary modifications to the plumbing and electrical systems, as well as any additional features or accessories that you want to include, such as shelves, grab bars, or a built-in seat.
Purchasing a Replacement Mobile Home Shower or Tub
When purchasing a replacement mobile home shower or tub, it’s important to choose one that fits your mobile home specifications and meets the HUD standards for manufactured housing. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Measure the space: Before purchasing a shower or tub, measure the available space in your bathroom to ensure it will fit.
- Check the specifications: Mobile homes have different plumbing and electrical systems than traditional homes, so it’s important to choose a shower or tub that is designed for mobile homes. Check the product specifications to make sure it is compatible with your mobile home’s plumbing and electrical system.
- Look for HUD compliance: The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has specific standards for manufactured housing, including mobile homes. Make sure the shower or tub you choose meets the HUD standards.
- Consider the style and material: Mobile home showers and tubs come in a variety of styles and materials, including fiberglass, acrylic, and stone. Select the style and material that will best match your bathroom décor and personal preferences.
- Shop around: You can find mobile home showers and tubs at local home improvement stores, online retailers, or mobile home supply stores. Shop around to compare prices and find the best option for your budget and needs.
FAQ: Mobile Home Bathtubs and Showers
What size is a standard tub in a mobile home?
The size of a standard tub in a mobile home can vary, as it depends on the specific model and make of the home. However, most mobile home tubs are designed to fit the standard size of a bathroom alcove, which is typically 54 inches long and 27 inches wide. The depth of the tub can also vary, but it’s usually between 12 and 14 inches deep.
How much does it cost to replace a mobile home bathtub?
On average, the cost of a new mobile home bathtub can range from $200 to $800. However, installation costs can add to the total cost, which typically range from $300 to $1,000, depending on the complexity of the installation and the cost of labor in your area. If you decide to hire a professional to replace your mobile home bathtub, it’s best to get several quotes from licensed contractors in your area to compare pricing and ensure you’re getting a fair price for the job.
Can you replace a shower in a mobile home?
Yes, it is possible to replace a shower in a mobile home. The process may require adjustments or modifications to the plumbing and surrounding walls, but it can be completed with the right tools and basic plumbing knowledge. It’s important to choose a shower that is the correct size and style for your bathroom, and to ensure that the new shower is installed properly and up to code. If you’re not comfortable doing the work yourself, it’s best to hire a professional who is experienced with working on mobile homes.
Can I put a regular tub in a mobile home?
It is possible to install a regular tub in a mobile home, but it may not be the best choice due to potential weight restrictions and space limitations. Mobile homes are built to specific standards, and any installation must meet these standards and local building codes. You can consult with a licensed contractor who has experience working with mobile homes to evaluate the structural integrity of the home and recommend the best type of tub for your specific mobile home. Choosing a mobile home-specific tub or shower instead may be a more practical option.